CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 17, 2008

Busting out glitter for Day of the Dead















We started celebrating Day of the Dead last year. I'll admit that I was lured in by The Crafty Chica, Kathy Cano-Murillo. But really, who can resist brightly colored paint and glitter!

Last year's major project was an altar for my grandfather, Robert Somerville, who passed away. Em got into making the paper flowers and the white chocolate calaveras. We invited a bunch of friends over for a party and had a wonderful time.

Because the house is under major renovation right now, we're on a party hiatus. I wanted to continue the tradition, though, so I've been on the lookout for some inspiration for a fun project. It hit me at the Dollar Tree yesterday. Skull shaped "pots" with an opening in the head which would be great for a little 4" marigold. They screamed for alteration, and here's my creation.

I started by glittering the teeth. Then I went to work with the puffy paint. No plan in mind, and it was fun to just doodle. Most of the real sugar skulls you see are decorated in pretty simple, abstract patterns. I went a little glam on this one. Now to decide if I should go back for more.....